Friday, November 4, 2011

Nov. 4 - When you are writing, do you prefer to use a pen or a computer?

Those are the only options?  Okay, I'll bite.  Computer.  My carpal tunnel syndrome isn't happy either way, but at least with a computer, I can upsize the font so I can read the damn thing.  My handwriting is limited to grocery lists, though I know I could do those on the computer, too.  I don't even sign my name very often anymore, since I started using a debit card instead of checks.

This is not to say I haven't tried.  A few years ago, I read "The Artist's Way," and did a few notebooks-full of "morning pages."  It was quite helpful and cathartic at the time.  I did a lot of purging.  They definitely have to be hand-written, as you are not supposed to edit (as I'm doing now).  I've kept them hidden away, every once in awhile thinking I should burn them.  You're not supposed to keep them, I don't think, and they only serve to remind me of very painful times.

The drama, though;  ah, the drama.  Has a way of making you feel alive and important.   There's that advantage of writing on a computer, particularly if, like me, the bulk of your writing has been in emails and/or yahoogroup posts -- the stuff is still there, and searchable.  One reason I picked now to start a blog is I peeked into some very old posts about homeschooling, and wondered who the hell that was writing.  She was so articulate and self-assured!  Oh, it was me?  What the fuck?

I'll answer that eloquent question in another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment